Wednesday, November 26, 2008

WELCOME

For 18months now, we have been home schooling aboard our boat, Glayva. My name is Rachel, I am an Early Child Hood Teacher, and I am from N.Z. My partner Mark and I are sailing with our two children, Namara, 10, and Arran, 9, from Australia to Scotland. Yes, crazy hey....leaving these tropical waters for a cold northern climate! When we arrived back, recently, from 4 months sailing in Aceh we were literally hungry for other childrens company. It had been a relatively alienated journey, full of white sandy beachs and uninhabited islands. However, on return to Rebak Marina, Langkawi, we caught up with many other children, and old friends we had previously cruised with. For a mere three weeks, I expanded my Bare Foot Boat School...NO SHOES ALLOWED! to incorporate 10 other children. Accommodated in an air conditioned room, thanks to Rebak Resort, we continued on with our own curriculum's, and then joined together for brain storming, art activities, drama workshops and other adventures in thinking. It was fantastic, and the kids all thrived in social interactions.
Hence my eagerness to keep the ball rolling. To attempt to harness some of this "social" activity, ideas and projects, and to share them with each other. You too can become an author on this blog. Just send me a message, and I can invite you to write directly onto the blog. If you wish just to make comments, you can do this easily too.
My hope is to make The Bare Foot Boat School and international cruising reference for kids and educators travelling on the high seas.
I hope you enjoy it and I look forward to providing you with some exciting links and ideas.....and getting some from you. Cheers, Rachel

No comments: